Hua Hin´s History.
In 1834, before the name Hua Hin was coined, some agricultural areas of Phetchaburi Province were hit by severe drought. A group of farmers moved southward until they found a small village that had bright white sands and a row of rocks along the beach. They settled here and gave it the name Samore Riang (Thai สมอเรียง), which mean rows of rock.
In 1921 the director of the state railway, Prince Purachatra, built the Railway Hotel close to the beach. King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) liked the place so much that he built a summer palace there. The palace was named Wang Klai Kang Won ('Far from Worries'). It is now the full-time residence of His Majesty the King of Thailand. His Royal Highness Prince Krom Phra Naresworarit was the first member of the royal family to build a group of palaces at Ban Laem Hin, called Sukaves, and he give the name Hua Hin to the beach next to his palace.
In 1932 Hua Hin was part of Pran Buri district. In 1949 Hua Hin was promoted to be a district of Prachuap Khiri Khan province. After the building of southern railway, Hua Hin became the first and most popular beach resort of Thailand.
Hua Hin Town (เทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน) is on the coast of Hua Hin District. With an area around 86.36 km², the town has to date (2010) 50,169 registered inhabitants, though there estimated to be around 30.000 unregistered inhabitants. With only 2½ hours drive from Bangkok, white sandy beaches and great sea food restaurants and Hua Hins close association to the royalty, Hua Hin has become a popular beach resort getaway for Bangkok residents. The Railway Hotel, now more generally known as The Sofitel Hotel, is a famous old building which was used as The Hotel Pnom Phen in the film "The Killing Fields".